Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Autumn

As summer winds down and melts into fall, although it's cooling off in the U.S., it still feels like an August day in Orlando out here in Shanghai.

The mid-autumn festival is upon us out here in China. Through a quick search on Wikipedia, I found out that this is a holiday where traditionally families gather to admire the full harvest moon and eat mooncakes. I don't quite understand, however I will say that I am quite enjoying the vouchers work gave us for these mooncakes from Haagen- Dazs! I picked up my package of treats today which contained: 2 small tubs of ice cream, 2 chocolate covered bars and a mooncake shaped ice cream with a white chocolate coating. Delicious.

These are traditional mooncakes which come with a variety of fillings: pork to coffee to blueberry flavored.

Along with autumn comes Fashion Week. I have been especially interested in it this year because of the shopping opportunities (mostly fake for my budget..) in China. At the fabric markets you can have anything made for you, so how great would it be to get some quintessential pieces for this year tailored especially for you?! I have been doing my research and really looking forward to the fall/winter looks in muted/earthy color palates:

Skinnies have quickly become one of my favorite staples of a wardrobe and I am very happy
they are continuing on into the fall/winter season. Those bangles and booties are also stunning.

It seems as if anything over the knee (boots/socks) is also a trend
for this year. I love the textures, colors and laid back feel of this outfit put together by H&M.
Couldn't resist putting it up. There are many H&M out here so I'm looking forward to raiding their fall/winter looks!

Sweaters, boots and scarves always call my name this time of year as I tend to dress rush seasonal wear. For example: when it's 90+ outside and I have a sweater in tow anxious for the opportunity to wear it in the subway. This chunky sweater has that great boyfriend style. Pair with a belt, dark wash skinny jeans and either tall boots or just booties- perfect! Just need a boys wardrobe to raid now (shorts/shirts, sweaters)... Just be careful with this please and don't overdo it. If you choose one boy item glam it up with a girly/fitted/patterned top or bottom.
Anyhow, during my research of this years trends I also came across an interesting one that is very popular in Shanghai. I had no idea this was an actual trend, just thought it was a Chinese thing maybe? But here it is in all its glory... fancy socks with heels...


My all time favorite accessory? Nail polish. It's cheap, easy to change up and removable. Essie's new fall collection is hot. I'm especially in love with this color: Sew Psyched. A grayish green which is unique and accents fall/winter colors perfectly!

I'm trying to write a bit less and do more showing of Shanghai. It's a work in progress, I vow to start taking my camera with me more often to have photos to share :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment